NEW! DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS)
- Homeland Security Investigation (HSI) Tip Line: 866-347-2423
- Study in the States: http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov a clearinghouse of information aimed at helping international students and academic officials navigate the international student process.
LAW AND REGULATIONS:
U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES (USCIS):
USCIS is the agency responsible for processing requests for immigration benefits. You may obtain immigration forms here and look at the status of cases on-line.
- Forms and Fees: http://www.uscis.gov
- Case intervention: For help with a student case send an e-mail (DSO-use ONLY) with case details to the Service Center with jurisdiction over your school (California, Nebraska, Vermont or Texas) (C, N, V or) TSC.Schools@uscis.dhs.gov. For EAD cases the same acronym for the appropriate Service Center then studentEAD@uscis.dhs.gov, e.g., vsc.studentEAD@uscis.dhs.gov
U.S. IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT (USICE):
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
Oversees the student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
Student and Exchange Visitor Program
Branch Name or Job Title Attn: I-515 Processing Unit
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement
500 12th St. SW, Stop 5600
Washington, DC 20536-5600
DEPARTMENT OF STATE (DOS):
CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION (CBP):
- Ports of Entry: http://www.cbp.gov
- Deferred Inspection Sites:
- What CAN be fixed at Deferred Inspection sites: Electronic record errors, name, DOB,passport#, Visa, Classification errors, status errors on I-94, missing stamp on I-20.
- What CANNOT: POE, Inspector #, country of citizenship, Admission #, carrier, flight #. If the I-94 was lost, the I-102 must be filed.
- Form I-94 Quick Reference Guide: www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/i94-quick-reference-guide.pdf
- Electronic Form I-94 Record Retrieval: www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94-instructions
- Carrier Information Guide: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier%20Information%20Guide-%20English.pdf
- DHS TRIP (Traveler Redress Inquiry Program) http://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip
Use to file a complaint about any POE issue (i.e., flags, repeated trips to secondary, lookouts) the complaint will be addressed by Program Managers assigned to the POE where the incident occurred.
- Inspector’s Field Manual: http://shusterman.com/pdf/cbpinspectorsfieldmanual.pdf
- FAQs: https://help.cbp.gov/
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (SSA):
Information for international students about how to apply for a social security number can be found at: https://secure.ssa.gov
SSA/Dept of Motor Vehicles problems related to F-1 issues: email@example.com
FINANCIAL DOCUMENT EVALUATION:
MAILING DOCUMENTS OVERSEAS:
eShip Global: partners with schools to allow students to prepay for their immigration documents to be shipped overseas. No cost to school, just set up an account. http://www.eshipglobal.com/industries/higher-education/
NAFSA: ASSOCIATION OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATORS:
Their website abounds with professional development information for members. 1307 New York Ave., N.W., 8th floor, Washington, D.C. 20005-4701. Phone: 202-737-3699.
One To World offers programs and services to international students and scholars affiliated with colleges and universities in the greater New York City area. One To World’s professional Network membership is made up of over 90 academic institutions and constitutes the single most valuable forum in New York for the exchange of ideas and best practices among international education professionals.
HELPFUL UNIVERSITY WEB SITES:
*LOCKBOX MAILING ADDRESSES FOR I-765 and I-539:
To ensure that a student’s application is mailed to the correct address, please visit the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov.
- Click on the “Forms” button located at the top left corner of the home page.
- Click on the application to be submitted.
- Follow the mailing instructions specific to that form.
- What CAN be fixed at Deferred Inspection sites: I-94 errors: name, DOB, passport#, visa classification, status
- What CANNOT: POE, Inspector #, country of citizenship, Admission #, carrier, flight #. If the I-94 cannot be accessed on-line, contact your local Deferred Inspection office. The I-102 may be filed to replace a paper I-94 issued prior to automation.
Customized compliance reviews and training to deal with your institution's specific federal compliance and international student service delivery issues.